Sunday, December 30, 2007

Chili Grudge


Chili Grudge...When I was in the fifth grade my uncle bought me a really, really cool pink jacket. It was like a souped up "Members Only" jacket. It had EVERYTHING. This included several zipper pockets, puffy sleeves with small pleats around the shoulder, snaps, shoulder pads, and well, you get the picture. It was the 80's. So there I was, minding my own business, walking down the hall to return my lunch tray when out of NOWHERE a 6th grader ran into me with her tray spilling chili all over me and my jacket. I was devastated. She didn't even say she was sorry. She just kept walking. I will NEVER forgive her.
Now here is a recipe for chili that didn't come from a grade-school cafeteria. We call it second day chili because it tastes perfect the day after you make it.
1 lb lean ground beef (or turkey)
2 Tablespoons chili powder *your taste...I think this is a mild chili
1 Tablespoon ground cumin
1 large red onion diced (save some for garnish)
1 green bell pepper diced
1 large can of kidney beans
3 cans of crushed tomato's
olive oil
salt and pepper to taste.
sour cream and cheddar cheese to garnish
Put a little olive oil in a LARGE pot and saute your onions. Don't cook them to long just get them soft. Add your chili powder and cumin, mix it up. Add your ground beef and cook till no longer pink. Add green bell pepper, tomato's, and beans. Let cook for at least an hour. Salt and pepper as needed, or sneak in a little more chili powder or your favorite hot sauce. Chili is one of those things the longer it cooks the better it gets. This is great on a cold day when you have plenty of time to let it sit on the stove all day. Even better when you eat it the second day! Serve with a dollop of sour cream, a sprinkle of cheese, and a little onion.

No comments: