Friday, April 04, 2008

Mountain Medley vs Cheese and Bacon

Sometimes it sucks trying to watch what you eat. I was not blessed with one of those super fast motabolizisaazzms. I try to only eat this sort of greasy breakfast food goodness on Sundays. The rest of the week it's Mountain Medley Kashi with rice milk...or maybe if I'm really feeling crazy a piece of toast. I use to be one of those breakfast skippers and then I read that fat people usually skip breakfast...well that settled it...if skinny people eat breakfast I'm doin it! No need to twist my arm! Plus my sister, Mizz Robin, has often harped on the goodness of breakfast and no matter what it is...it's better than nothing.

So in honor of what I really wanted this morning instead of the granola I ate, here is a recipe for simple baking powder biscuits. Now in full disclose I would recommend making these for something such as sausage gravy as I find the biscuits a bit heavy....to heavy this little sandwich you see above....I ended up tossing half the biscuit and hitting it with a fork. SO...if you happen to know of a lighter biscuit please send the recipe my way at myvintagekitchen@gmail.com and I will post it and give it a go!

-Shelly

2 cups flour
3 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
1/4 cup Crisco
milk
butter

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Place flour, baking powder and salt in a bowl. Cut in crisco with pastry cutter or fork. Add enough milk to make dough, do not mix too much. Place dough on flour surface and pat out to about 1/2 inch thick, try not to work it too much the less handled the more tender the biscuit. Cut biscuits with a floured cutter or glass. Place on cookie sheet

Top each biscuit with just a little bit of butter
Bake for about 10 minutes or until they start to brown on the edges.

1 comment:

Camille said...

So I made the biscuit recipe I emailed you ladies -- just as tender as I remember! Hope you like them!